- Expecting a Baby?
- Empowering Women
Do you want to have choices and feel empowered throughout your birth experience?
Women come to our offices at Brier Creek, Chapel Hill and/or Durham to see our midwives for all prenatal care visits. When it comes time to deliver, we oversee all births at Duke Regional Hospital.
- We Listen
Would you like to work with caring and nurturing health providers who listen to you?
We ListenIn addition to midwifery, our collaboration with WHA Chapel Hill and WHA Durham allows us to provide a wide range of medical care. We work closely with other practitioners and specialists to ensure a comprehensive approach to patients’ overall well being.
- Group Prenatal Care
Would you like to meet like-minded women in a small group setting and talk over your questions and concerns?
- Modern Midwives
If you answered YES to any of these questions, then meet the midwives of Women's Health Alliance!
Introducing Midwifery at Women’s Health Alliance
Durham Women’s Clinic and Chapel Hill OB/GYN join together in this practice to offer midwifery care.
Midwifery at Women’s Health Alliance Offers You…
Peace of mind
“We thank the Midwives at WHA for making our delivery the special and perfect experience that it was.”—
“We really appreciated that Cheryl and the hospital nurse gave us the help and support we needed during and right after the birth, and that so quickly afterwards we could be alone as a family to soak it all in.”—
Why Choose Midwifery at WHA?
- Our work is our life’s passion.
- We are backed by caring and supportive doctors who give both us and our patients an added measure of security.
- We have years of midwifery experience (individual and combined).
- Our patients give birth at Duke Regional Hospital which is convenient to our Brier Creek, Chapel Hill and Durham locations.
- Because Duke Regional Hospital is a community hospital, you receive the most personalized care available.
- You can benefit from the streamlined health care services of a nurse midwife even if you don’t plan on having a baby.
- We offer free consultations and often same-day appointments. It is likely that we can see you today, if that is what you would like! (Brier Creek office only.)
Facts About Midwives and Midwifery
Fact: Most Certified Nurse Midwives work in hospitals. Our midwives attend births at Duke Regional Hospital in Durham, NC. Some midwives attend home births, some midwives work at birthing centers apart from hospitals.
Fact: The midwives of WHA work with a team of doctors who are on call 24/7 in case additional safety measures are required.
Fact: Using a midwife does not preclude the use of medications. Our midwives will help you have a medication free birth if that is what you seek. If you need pain relief measures, intravenous pain medicine and epidurals are available.
Fact: Though there are varying levels of midwives in the United States, our midwives are certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) who:
- have at least a bachelor’s degree and may have a master’s or doctoral degree
- have completed both nursing and midwifery training
- have passed exams to become certified and have fulfilled state licensing requirements
Fact: Midwives are covered by most insurance plans.
Your Birth Story
The day you give birth is one of the most memorable events of your life. No matter how easy nor how difficult the delivery may be, it can be a life changing process not only for yourself but also for those closest to you. Writing a birth story is a way to preserve and to clarify these events. Read More….
Our Partner Hospital
- Eight labor and delivery suites, four with whirlpool tubs
- 29 private Mother/Baby rooms
- Lightweight, cordless, waterproof fetal and maternal monitors to provide mothers with greater freedom of movement during labor and more flexibility in choice of birthing positions
- An 18-bed level II Special Care Nursery
- A strict infant security system
- A hospital-based anesthesia team available 24 hours a day
- Two operating rooms and two recovery rooms within the Labor and Delivery Unit when C-sections are necessary
Prenatal care in groups
- Imagine…having 90 minutes to spend with your healthcare provider at each visit.
- Imagine…becoming friends with other expectant moms as you meet together for seven months.
- Imagine…going for your prenatal check-up and beginning your appointment exactly on time.
- Imagine….learning to take better care of yourself and your family.
- Imagine CenteringPregnancy®
- Learn about your baby, your body, childbirth and parenting
- Join other expectant moms, partners and support people to discuss pregnancy problems and solutions with in a group setting or informally over refreshments.
- Track your baby’s growth and your own pregnancy progress
What is CenteringPregnancy® all about?
It’s all about Groups.
You will be in a private group with other women whose due dates are close to yours. In each of the ten sessions, you will have ample time to discuss questions, concerns and solutions.
It’s all about Self-Care
You’ll learn to take your own blood pressure, heart rate, weight and urinalysis and enter the information into your charts. You’ll receive information and tools to help you make healthier choices for you, your baby and and your whole family.
It’s all about Women
You’ll meet other expectant moms and have an opportunity to share stories and learn from one another. You’ll be able to talk about health issues that are important to you and all the things you’re going through physically and emotionally. You’ll be together every month at first, and then, as the baby approaches, you’ll meet every two weeks.
It’s all about Time
You’ll receive a schedule for all the group times before you begin. This makes it easy to arrange childcare in advance or meet work obligations. Every minute of your time will be occupied, not spent sitting alone in a waiting or examination room.
Meet The Midwives of Women’s Health Alliance
Brier Creek, Chapel Hill, and Durham, North Carolina
MSN, ARNP, CNM, RL-C, IBCLC
Pamela Borden is our latest and greatest addition to our team of midwives. She is a graduate from the prestigious Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing in Hyden, Kentucky.
Read Complete Bio
CNM, PHPNP, MSN
Cheryl Carroll’s midwifery experience could easily fill an entire book. Cheryl has many decades of remarkable accomplishments in the field of midwifery, labor, delivery and patient care.
Read Complete Bio
Leigh Ann joined Midwifery at Women’s Health Alliance in March 2012, and we have yet another certified nurse midwife who describes her career as a calling.
Read Complete Bio
CNM, CLC, MSN
Mary Ellen Lowry’s awareness of midwifery happened entirely by chance. When she was having her first of four children, she was seeing a physician group that had midwives.
Read Complete Bio
WHA Offers a Full Range of OB/GYN Services
Caring for women at all stages of their lives
Please make an appointment today to meet in person with one of our certified nurse midwives, to see for yourself how our outstanding health care offerings will enhance your life.
Meet the Physicians and P.A. of Women’s Health Alliance
WHA Chapel Hill
We’re Here For YouSchedule an appointment with our midwives.
Call Us: (919) 914-9000
Midwifery at WHA Chapel Hill
Midwifery at WHA Durham
Midwifery at WHA Brier Creek
8851 Ellstree Lane
Raleigh NC 27617
Direct Line: 919-914-9000